More America Photos
Leaving Vegas we headed towards our one night stop at the Grand Canyon Lodges. First call was the Hoover Dam
Loved the fact that we were on the border of Nevada and Arizona, and also there was an hours time difference! Driving through the dessert the wind was wild, plenty of tumbleweed flying about too. Needing a coffee break we came off interstate 40 and by luck we ended up here.
Back on track and off to the Grand Canyon, we fueled up at what must be one of the oldest Gas stations that I have ever seen, and one of the cheapest only $2.99 a gallon! Yes folks in England very, very cheap!
We got our Lodge keys and followed the instructions, we got lost, back for more instructions, we got lost again!!!!! Third time lucky and we made it! By now it was dark and it was cold, we walked to the restaurant in the dark, no torch, no street lights and was hoping to see or at least hear some wildlife, but not to be!
Only one downside to staying in the Lodges at this time of year IT WAS BLOODY COLD!
I have so many photos of the Canyon so hope you enjoy a few of them.







I just do not know how to describe the Grand Canyon to you, amazing, beautiful, peaceful, pure beauty at it's best. We stayed at the South Rim, elevation is 7,000 feet , the North Rim is only 10 miles away as the crow flies but 215 miles by road, it is also 1,000 feet higher, and colder!
We left the Grand Canyon and heading for Lake Havasu, passing the one and only Fred Flintstone!!!!
So so pleased that transport has improved can you imagine driving all those miles in this LOL.
Lake Havasu is the home of the original London Bridge. Robert McCulloch imported the bridge stone-by-stone, think he thought he had bought the Tower Bridge!

23 comments:
katy some more lovely photos~ the Grand Canyon is awesome. I never got to see the Hoover Dam close up only flew over in a helicopter. Kermits rest must be for frogs!
Seeing London Bridge~ must have been kind of strange. A little bit of England in Arizona
The Grand Canyon is really awesome. I'd love to go there sometime. I've flown over it, but have never been there. Great pictures!
Looks fab! :)
Great post! You are right it isn't really possible to explain the Grand Canyon properly. It is something that you have to experience for yourself. We want to go back and do a rafting trip someday.
There really is no way to put the Grand Canyon into words, is there? And the photos, so beautiful, never convey just how freaking big that canyon really is, do they???
yabba dabba doo
Fantastic photo's. The grand canyon looks awesome.
You are SO lucky! I have always wanted to meet Fred.
Great photos. :)
We went to the Grand Canyon when I was a child. The only thing I remember about it is that I leaned over the railing and threw up! lol I'd like to see it again.
A bit big that canyon thingy in't it?
Did it have a bar?
You picked some of the best things to see! Next time, we'll show you some more!!
You know how the Grand Canyon was formed? A Jew dropped a dime in a gopher hole and went after it.
chrisb - Lol I love Kermit too!
jay - it is truly amazing
casdok - it sure is
tod - wow that will be fun.
dilling - so true it is unbelivable.
kahless - it is, you need to go you and mrs k would love it over in the states.
biddie - and he was everything I expected him to be!
betty - LOL hope next time you go you manage to keep hold of your stomach contents!!!
punk - it can been seen from outer space so yep it is huge! plenty of bars to stop you falling over the edge lol!!!
cindydiane - we so want to come over there again, New York, Washington and Biddie are our next dream trip, one day, one day huh!
coffeypot - LOL
katy a little invite for you over at my place!
All your photos are so spectacular that they leave me speechless
oh WOW...... great photos.... bloody great, I would LOVE to see the Grand Canyon.....
x
1000 feet higher would be colder. I live 1000 feet above sea level and I notice there's a big difference between temps there and here.
I've never seen the Grand Canyon in person but your pics look beautiful.
I'm so going to the GC..
you lucky thing!
I love your new car!
I've always found pics of the Hoover dam disturbing and scary...is it just me? Lol to the Flintstones park, I want to go!!!!!
Hey, you have cooler pictures from my country than I have...that's not fair!!!
It really looks like you had a fantastic trip.
You're missing the big rocks around your neck Wilma!
Post a Comment