Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Tunisia photos


sunrise in Tunisia, how lovely is that!

Amphitheatre in El-Jem, built in 230-238 this is the world's 3rd largest Roman amphitheatre

and the best perserved Roman relic to be found in Africa

Bourguiba's sarcophagus in the mausoleum


Habib Bourguiba Mausoleum, inside contains the remains of Bourguiba and his family, Bourguiba was proclaimed the first president of Tunisia in 1956 after Tunisia regained its independence


remains of a Ribat (fortress) in Monastir, one of the oldest and best preserved in Tunisia, it was also used for scenes in Zeffirelli's Life of Christ and Monty Python's Life of Brian!


view from our hotel balcony

our hotel in Port el-Kantaoui

hope you enjoyed the above photos I will be posting some more in a few days, photos of Berbers, (non-Arab) people of North Africa, who still live in caves, i have photos of their 'homes'! truly amazing! and photos from Matmata where the filming of Star Wars was taken.

Until then enjoy and hope you are all well x

11 comments:

Dr. A said...

I've never been to Tunisia before. Great pics!

Betty said...

Wonderful photos! Looks like a fascinating place.

Kell said...

Thanks for the photos! I've never been to Tunisia either. It looks beautiful. glad to have you back, too :)

Jay said...

Very, very cool. Thanks for sharing. The only stuff I know about Tunisia is what I learned when Ian from Globetrekker went there. Looks like a pretty amazing place.

Pamela said...

Tunisia! TOooooomuch!!

Michael Colvin said...

Wow! I love Roman stuff. The pictures are great and Tunisia is now on my list.

me said...

nice to see you, to see you nice!

Anonymous said...

you've set foot on a fort used for Life of Brian?? Kudos!

ldbug said...

Amazing. I really liked the sunrise the best, it looks like a postcard!

Heidi the Hick said...

I think it's great that "Life of Christ" and "Life of Brian" were shot in the same place!

Cathy said...

Fantastic photos - I'm with everyone else - it is now on my list of must-sees! I was ignorant to the fact that the Roman Empire stretched down through Africa - fascinating. Where are you going next? Can I come?