Saturday, March 15, 2008

America at Last

OK I have finally managed to download the photos to the computers, took a long time doing, I mean there are 733 photos! Can you believe that I took that many photos, don't worry too much I promise not to show you all of them!

We had a truly wonderful time from start to finish, just wish we could have spent longer, especially with Jas and his family, felt like we had known them for years.
This is the first photo I took, flying over Iceland and Greenland 39,999 feet high, traveling at 575 miles per hour, the outside temp is -52!
We had a good flight, arrived at San Francisco and strolled through Immigrations. Collected our great big 7 seater, well when in Rome........
Erm, they gave us the keys and the Sat. Nav. and that was that, OK we know how to drive, but, but, erm where is the hand brake on this thing? Yep we had to get help just could not find the hand brake! So are all 'hand brakes' in American cars on the floor then?!

Himself did really well on our first drive to the hotel, got there without getting lost once, well done Tilly (the name we gave to our GPS)!

We managed to have a quick walk about but eventually caved in and hit bed at 7.30pm! well that would have been 3.30am for our body clocks!

Good morning San Francisco


Our first day we went to Pier 33 to get the boat to Alcatraz
It makes me wonder that if today's prisons were like this if there would be less crime in the world.We wondered round the lovely Pier 39, full shops, eateries and entertainment, I spent that much time wondering in and out of the shops that it was dark when we left and I forgot to take photos, my camera doesn't do night shots!!!!

Himself sat and rested with the Sea Lions at Pier 39 leaving me free to wonder in an out of the shops, and yes he let me loose with the money!!!!

Day two we spent the morning riding the Cable Cars, what an experience not to miss! Not a comfy ride at all but a ride well worth taking.



I mean you just wouldn't walk up these hills would you!!


Roads in England are just not this straight!

The view from Macy's, well I have to admit here I only went into the store because the Cheesecake Factory was in it mmmmmmmmmm, me had cheese cake mmmmmmmmmm!!!!

We dined in a 50's diner, I could have stayed here all day feeding the jukebox, a jukebox at every table, I LOVE IT!


We made our way back to Fisherman's Wharfe to pick up the tour bus which took us over the Golden Gate Bridge

into the Golden Gate Park and up to the Twin Peaks. The weather had turned, in fact it was absolutely throwing it down, so although we got to see so much of this wonderful City I can't show you the photos as I couldn't take many due to the rain! But hey as Jas's wife said we are from England and are used to the rain!!!

We left San Francisco via Lombard Street, well you gotta drive down the crookedest street in the world now haven't you, well he did!

So I hope you enjoyed the first set of photos of my holiday. We drove over the Bay Bridge into Sacramento to meet Redneck Nerd Boy, aka Jas and his lovely wife and daughter. More to come..........................

30 comments:

Casdok said...

Certainly did! Looks really interesting.

Anonymous said...

Nice pics! Greetings from Mexico! :)

Kahless said...

I really did enjoy reading this post. Looking forward to the next set of pictures.

ChrisB said...

katy that was so spooky when I saw your first picture I thought you had raided my computer I have an almost identical one!

I loved seeing all these photos it brings back lovely memories for me. So looking forward to seeing and hearing more more more!

Coffeypot said...

I saw most of this when I was in the Navy and our ship was in port. SF is a beautiful place, but too cool for my taste.

Betty said...

Your photos bring back some very pleasant memories for me. I loved San Francisco. Would love to go back some day.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great time. I live in America and have been to none of those sites. Terrible, I know. Working on it. Can't wait to see more photos.

dilling said...

That old brick fort under the bridge in your photo is quite lovely, too. The architecture is stunning. I have been to San Fran plenty...did you see the Presidio?

Jay said...

Wonderful pics! We took a boat ride around SF Bay when we were there. Didn't stop at Alcatraz though. SF is a lot of fun!

katy said...

casdok - we had so much fun, just wish we had longer in each place.

cefilibe - hi there Mexico glad you dropped by and thank you.

kahless - glad you enjoyed, I have sooooo many photos it is hard just to pick a few out!

katy said...

chrisb - really, i tried to get one of the Smokey Mountains too but it didn't turn out. I envy you being able to keep going back to San Fran.

coffeypot - being from England the weather was much like home.

betty - I fell in love with San Francisco, and would love to spend lots more time there too.

katy said...

marla - America is just so huge and has lots of amazing and beautiful places to visit we are already planning our next trip.

Dilling - unfortunately no we didn't get to see the Presido, we only had two full days in San Fran, next time though.

jay - Alcatraz is a must if you go back

DJ Kirkby said...

Wow your pictures took my breath away. You know I was surpised at the size of the prison cell, I had thought they would be smaller. I am impressed you stayed up till 7.30pm. I have sent you an email. So glad you are back! xo

Monika said...

beautiful photos!

Michael Colvin said...

Your trip brought back so many memories. We love San Francisco too and isn't the Alcatraz tour fab!

Don't skimp on the holiday posts I want to see ALL of it! Lol!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Lady in red said...

it was lovely to read about the firs part of your trip look forward to part two

Jay said...

733 photos?!!

you must have certainly had a good time!

Unknown said...

Great pics, but which one amongst the Sea Lions is Himself?

jumpinginpuddles said...

we actually like getting captions and stories of holidays liek this it was easy to read and made us feel as though we had been there ourselves. Really cool way of doing it thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great trip! Can't wait to see the rest.

They're shooting a John Dillinger (Johnny Depp) movie in a town nearby because he broke out of a jail there. The crews have been working round the clock to get ready and the pictures of the jail cells are similar to the one you shot, only a little earlier time frame. I agree. Certainly different than we have nowadays.

CindyDianne said...

Fabulous! You managed to really hit the highlights! Good for you! I agree about The Cheesecake Factory, it is good stuff... though my Mom's cheesecake is better!

MORE MORE MORE

katy said...

dj - the cells were small, the camera angle makes it look bigger. and thank you its nice to know i have been missed x

chililady - welcome and thanks there will be lots more!

tod - the Alcatraz tour was one of the highlights of San Fran for sure. and dont worry lots more to follow!

katy said...

cellular - eh!

LIR - thanks will get working on the next soon.

jay cam - snap happy me!

johng. - he is the one on the far left LOL

katy said...

JIP - keep tuning in for the rest x

gawilli - you going to be an extra on the film?!

cindydiane - more more more but hey I think I need some of your mom's cheesecake please!

Heidi the Hick said...

Love your photos!!!!

Don't know if I'll ever get to go there, so it's nice to go on a virtual tour!

captain corky said...

Welcome home! I've never been to California before... I'll have to check it out sometime, but I do worry about all the hippies. ;)

jAMiE said...

Welcome home! Sounds like you had a wonderful time, great!

Look forward to more pics, keep 'em coming!

katy said...

heidi - thanks more to come!

corky - i missed the hippies lol!

Jamie - we had a blast for sure and lots and lots to follow!

Pamela said...

What a joy to hear the excitement of SF from your perspective. I wish I'd been there with you.

(I love that city)