Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Time For More Photos

Well into our holiday, well three days have past already so fast! It is time to leave the wonderful San Francisco and head to Lake Tahoe, via Sacramento to meet Jas and his family. Jas his wife J and daughter A took us to Old Sacramento were we wandered in and out of the shops and had a lovely dinner. It was great meeting a blog buddie, sad to say Jas no longer blogs, they made us feel so welcome thank you you three. The last shop we went to was the candy store! Thank you J for our candy, she bought a big bag of candy for our road trip, trouble is I need more, more lots more!We had to say goodbye as we needed to reach Lake Tahoe and had heard that the snow was on its way! And believe me that snow waited for us! We had to have the snow chains put on the car, having never used snow chains this was quite an experience! The driving wheel vibrated making my hands tingle, but I was sure glad of those snow chains, the snow was coming down thick and fast, so fast that I needed to pull over and clear the windscreen so I could see!

Glad this is not my car!!

We missed a turning as the road signs were just covered in snow and Tilly was being a little bit too quite for me! So we pulled into a garage and tried to put some petrol/gas in the car. Now I know how to do this I do really, but I didn't know that you had to pre pay for your gas first! Took us a while to sort this out and with red faces we turned the car round and retraced our steps. The Hotel was found the car was parked and we relaxed. Waking up to this lovely view of Lake Tahoe the next day.


Any one fancy a swim! There are too hot spa pools that people did use, afraid I was too much of a wimp to venture outside in a swim suit!
The snow had stopped so we took ourselves off out visiting Carson City, calling at the State Railroad Museum.
A tour round Carson City visiting Krebs-Peterson House, this house was featured in John Wayne's last film "The Shootist"

Now if you look closely you can even see an image of the Duke himself!Now for our next bit of stupidity! We still had the snow chains on and there was no snow on the roads out here! So being a bit smart I decided to remove them! Ooops not a good idea, well lets say that I only undid the clips on one side of the tyre and just couldn't work out how they came off! To the rescue of a damsel in distress came a very nice man with a giant pair of wire cutters, once he realised what I had, or hadn't done, he soon showed me what to do. OK the a very red me and himself went on to Virginia City.It took a few miles and a bit longer to get here than it should have! WHY?! Because I typed Virginia into Tilly (sat. nav) not Virginia City! OK I know leave it to a woman to make so many cock ups! Himself was yet again in his element here it was like stepping back in time to the Western era. My favourite building here was the acoustically perfect St Mary's Church in the Mountains, the oldest active Catholic Church in Nevada. Beautiful isn't it.

Right then will leave you with these for a while, the next lot will not be of Yosemite due to the snow we missed this out of our trip, instead we took ourselves off to a few different places, no you will need to tune in again to find out where we went!

Still trying to call over and see you all, but don't worry I will do it! Off to the hospital in the morning it is the day of the GROMMET!!!!! wish me luck!!!!

19 comments:

Michael Colvin said...

We went to that same candy store and bought a huge bag of saltwater taffy!

I enjoyed reading about your trip.

More please! :)

Kahless said...

Good luck with the op...
I will be thinking of you.

Oh, and if you didnt fancy the swim suit you should have gone commando lol!

Anonymous said...

When we moved to Jersey I often forgot we were not allowed to pump our own gas there. I never did get used to having to wait for someone else to do it. I must say it made for longer trips to the gas stations. The people seemed to move like snails.

Jay said...

I've been to Sacramento and Old Sac and Lake Tahoe, but never made it to Carson City.

Loving the trip report!

FOUR DINNERS said...

op? what op? Missed that. Pissed again. Good luck with the op, whatever op I missed...you ok?

I will now sulk uncerimoniously 'cause I ain't been there and I want to.

sulk.

sulk.

sulk.

what op? allright. Goin' back

FOUR DINNERS said...

Grommet? Op? Where's Wallace when yer need him????

Totally lost but good luck with the Wall...Grommet thingy babe x

ldbug said...

Oh, see now you're making me homesick!! Glad you're having a wonderful trip, sounds eventful and that you're getting to see a lot! Honestly, the next time you come to an outdoor hot spring in the winter, give it a try, it's the best to be submerged in hot water while the cold tickles your face:-)

Biddie said...

I love the photos :) I will never make it to half of the places that you have been to, so it's great to see it through your eyes.

Casdok said...

Wow! That snow!
Lovely to see your photos!

ChrisB said...

All the photos look wonderful~ so you've had your fill of snow then!!
Pity about Yosemite, you'll have to do that next time!
Can't wait to see where you went next!
Good luck with the grommet.

captain corky said...

Beautiful pic of Lake Tahoe!!! Another place I really, really want to visit.

Pamela said...

great pictures!
Virginia & Tilly made me laugh. That must have been a long side trip, tee hee.

You've inspired me to do Carson City - looks wonderful, even in the snow.

(Ps. I think I'll go in spring or fall)

dilling said...

good luck!!!!
thanks for the tour...i have only been to tahoe in the mosquito season...

Unknown said...

Brilliant pics! Wallace will look after you! hugs. xx

Jay said...

good luck!

you know what you should have tried? jumping off that high place into the spa! wouldn't that have been something..

DJ Kirkby said...

Ooooh such great pics! Have a great weekend, I will be back Monday. xo

DJ Kirkby said...

Ooooh such great pics! Have a great weekend, I will be back Monday. xo

CindyDianne said...

It sounds like a grand adventure!

Rising Rainbow said...

i had to laugh about the chains. I remember the first time I tried to take those suckers off by myself. I wish I had had wire cutters it would have been simpler than what I did. So you're not alone. I still don't mess with chains to this day. lol