Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Happy 150th Birthday

It's not often that I will post anything to do with sport of any kind, in fact this is so rare it might one day sell for a fortune as a one off!


But here in Sheffield we have two well known football teams.
Sheffield Wednesday, I live just up the road from the 'Owls' ground at Hillsborough,
and Sheffield United, I live just round the corner from the 'Blades' training ground!


What you may or may not know is that we also have the Worlds Oldest Football Club, Sheffield FC. Who this year are celebrating 150 years! I could go on to tell you all about them but it might just bore some of you, so for those who want to read about them go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_F.C..

I can tell you that Himself, who loves football and could tell you absolutely anything about the game, was at one time involved with Sheffield FC, he was the Football Programme Editor, and I can also say that I helped with this. Yes me who hates football actually was involved in the typing, the printing, the photo copying, the collating and the stapling of the Clubs Match Day Programme. How I miss those times! What me being sarcastic, get away!

But I would like to say Happy Birthday Sheffield FC.

14 comments:

Coffeypot said...

Happy Birthday Sheffield FC. But it’s not Football; it’s Soccer. Football is played with pads and hitting and grunting and cussing and spitting and farting in the huddle and broken bones and pulled tendons and cheerleaders and and and stuff.

I know, its FOOTBALL in your country and it is centuries older than our football and stuff, but it’s still soccer.

jAMiE said...

Hello...Happy Birthday to your Sheffield Football Club!!! Many happy more!

Anonymous said...

Coffeepot has that one right. And that's just the guys who watch it!!! Ha! Willi loves his football also. I joke about becoming a football widow from the fall until the Superbowl.

katy said...

coffeypot - what you call american football is similar to what we call rugby.

jamie - thank you

gawilli - i know all about being a football widow, only i am also a cricket widow!

Kahless said...

Last night I was at Old Trafford to watch a friendly against Inter Milan. I go to most home games and some away. I also travel and watch England. (I am going to Russia in the autumn.)

I am going to try and keep football off my blog (the occaisional post) so its nice to be able to go to others blogs and talk footie!

Kahless said...

And happy birthday to Sheffield FC

katy said...

kahless - have been to Old Trafford a couple of times, the atmosphere is wonderful, but i really do not like football or sport! Himself is an avid football man and next season he will be doing football reports for the non-league daily, and still managing to do a bit of refereeing!

captain corky said...

I agree with Coffeepot. 1. American football is my favorite sport and 2. Because I'm an arrogant American. Just like everyone else that lives in this country. ;)

DJ Kirkby said...

I have no comment to leave...except for 'no comment' that is.

katy said...

captain - ok ok you call it soccer, you arrogant american you LOL, personally i am not bothered cause i dont like ANY sport!

dj - take it you are like me where sport is concerned!

Jay said...

What coffepot is referring to is sometimes called "armoured wankball" by people who play "football" around the world. LOL ;-)

Coffeypot said...

"armoured wankball" hahahahaha! I love it.

DJ Kirkby said...

AHEM! Waiting for your next post please...

FOUR DINNERS said...

sniff the coffee - pot...ours is football yours is just weird. Fun but weird. Happy Birthday Sheffield FC. Oldham Athletic are ancient too and that's just their current squad....